Last visit was: It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Day At The Sand Bars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:02 am 

InFocus wrote:
I checked the pictures on a calibrated monitor and found it a little dark. Attached is how I see a better processed variation. For comparison I included the old and new histogram.

Oh I see, I do have to get a calibrated system myself and to be honest I really don't look at the histogram that often only because a majority of photographs, even great photographs, isn't always tonally even like that one shows. Just like everything else the histogram is more of a guideline to me than a rule. Even though the histogram is now even, my sky and clouds is now a bit blown out and isn't holding nearly as much detail as I'd like. I really appreciate your help InFocus.

NYIP Graduate

http://www.facebook.com/vinceluskphotography1

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:38 pm 

I'm FINALLY getting a calibration system! This coming Monday I will have a Spyder4Elite :-)

NYIP Graduate

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 pm 

;D

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:10 pm 

Oh my gosh guys, look at what I figured out. A while ago when I was studying different sources before NYIP I came across the infrared technique in post processing. Well, I tried it a couple of times but didn't like the results. I was playing with the sand bar shot again because I'm submitting shots to the NYIP student center on the main page and "accidentally" did this! I mean I know how to do it but just didn't realize I did it this time and also didn't know it would have this effect on this image. What do you guys think?

Attachments:
_MG_3022web 22-54-40.jpg
_MG_3022web 22-54-40.jpg [ 142.75 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

NYIP Graduate

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:54 pm 

valusk1 wrote:
[Oh I see, I do have to get a calibrated system myself and to be honest I really don't look at the histogram that often only because a majority of photographs, even great photographs, isn't always tonally even like that one shows. Just like everything else the histogram is more of a guideline to me than a rule. Even though the histogram is now even, my sky and clouds is now a bit blown out and isn't holding nearly as much detail as I'd like. I really appreciate your help InFocus.

Vince, the histogram isn't about getting it balanced, it's about the right and left side. I would probably pull back a little on the right side to keep more of the detail in the clouds, but I like the white clouds rather than the gray clouds in your first run.

I check the histogram on almost every series of shots I take and adjust my exposure accordingly. I shoot as far to the right (higher exposure) as is practical and adjust in post. If I am wanting to get the best image SOOC I will always look at the histogram, for me it is much more important than any metering system because it tells me exactly what the sensor is seeing and I can adjust for what I want in the image.

Please feel free to edit
Would really appreciate your comments

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm 

clarkrj wrote:
valusk1 wrote:
[Oh I see, I do have to get a calibrated system myself and to be honest I really don't look at the histogram that often only because a majority of photographs, even great photographs, isn't always tonally even like that one shows. Just like everything else the histogram is more of a guideline to me than a rule. Even though the histogram is now even, my sky and clouds is now a bit blown out and isn't holding nearly as much detail as I'd like. I really appreciate your help InFocus.

Vince, the histogram isn't about getting it balanced, it's about the right and left side. I would probably pull back a little on the right side to keep more of the detail in the clouds, but I like the white clouds rather than the gray clouds in your first run.

I check the histogram on almost every series of shots I take and adjust my exposure accordingly. I shoot as far to the right (higher exposure) as is practical and adjust in post. If I am wanting to get the best image SOOC I will always look at the histogram, for me it is much more important than any metering system because it tells me exactly what the sensor is seeing and I can adjust for what I want in the image.

Thank you and I agree

NYIP Graduate

Offline Profile