Last visit was: It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleeping the afternoon away
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:43 pm 

I captured this photograph whilst down at my local nature discovery centre. The chap nodded off as soon as he got there and only woke up when it was time to level. I have tried to take onboard a lot of the comments with regard to my black & white processing so I hope this is a step forward.

Si

Attachments:
_DSC4015-Edit.jpg
_DSC4015-Edit.jpg [ 208.84 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting
Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sleeping the afternoon away
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 am 

I find the subject a little on the boring side and the activity uninteresting, it is more of a snapshot and the conversion to a b&w does not help the image any.

Roel Arevalo
NYIP Pro Course Grad

Environmental Portrait Photography
SuperFocused Photography
SuperFocused on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 am 

Because someone finds the subject boring does not automatically mean the shot is a snapshot rather than street photography. I like the subject but then I have a heart for street photography. I am not at home where I can edit properly, so take this edit with that said. I cropped to concentrate more on the subject adn adjusted tones as best I could. I think with some better tweaks on tone and texture in this or a similar crop, it speaks to street photography rather than a snapshot where there was a bit too much uninteresting background like the building wall and window.

Attachments:
_DSC4015-E.jpg
_DSC4015-E.jpg [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]

Zenfolio Referral Code 327-5M8-YCW
http://www.imagesbydonnau.com
DonnaU's Famous FaceBook Fanpage
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

superfocused wrote:
I find the subject a little on the boring side and the activity uninteresting, it is more of a snapshot and the conversion to a b&w does not help the image any.

Hi Roel, thanks for your honest comments, refreshing. This is meant to be a candid street photo and does not work in colour. I converted to B&W becasuse there were to many distracting colours in the scene and I wanted to focus on the main subject which was the chap in the wheel chair..

Si

Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:24 pm 

i'm not at home either, so i don't have PS.

i didn't like the whole weelchair which in my opinion doesn't help the subject, even thought it took a big part of the photo.

also i typically like to maximize the whole danamic range of my camera (hey i paid for it, right, lol) in b&w shots, that's hightlight is very close to pure white and shadows close to pure black, but i can't get it here without PS. it might be the personal style thing here, to me i find the picture contrast too low.

i think it's an interesting photo catching a moment.

Attachments:
_DSC4015-E.jpg
_DSC4015-E.jpg [ 37.09 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

Jindi

C&C plus editing for this forum always welcome!
Professional Photography Course Progress: Passed Unit 6 Exam :-) Submitted 1 Project :-(
System: mostly use Canon 5D III with 24-70mm F/2.8L II lens
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:32 pm 

Jindi S wrote:

i didn't like the whole weelchair which in my opinion doesn't help the subject, even thought it took a big part of the photo.

also i typically like to maximize the whole danamic range of my camera (hey i paid for it, right, lol) in b&w shots, that's hightlight is very close to pure white and shadows close to pure black, but i can't get it here without PS. it might be the personal style thing here, to me i find the picture contrast too low.

Hi Jindi,

My camera is set to Auto on the dynamic range front so I aim trusting the camera on that front for now. I am beginning to understand that contrast is very important in B&W and excited by the learning journey. Si

Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm 

Jindi S wrote:

YES! Jindi you nailed it. I agree the contrast was too low. It needed brightened. I love your crop.

Zenfolio Referral Code 327-5M8-YCW
http://www.imagesbydonnau.com
DonnaU's Famous FaceBook Fanpage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm 

Thanks guys, I will get the hang of B&W processing that is for sure.

Si

Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 am 

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to comment on this on or not.

As always, don't read what anyone has to say about their picture because I don't care. Not yet anyway. The first thing is always the picture and just experiencing it. Reading comes later. If I comment on a picture, those comments are about this first look.

It's definitely not a snapshot. but at the same time the subject matter is banal, there really isn't anything happening and SI isn't showing me a new perspective. This isn't a shot of something everyday and utterly common taken from an unusual point of view so viewers will say 'I've never seen it like that. I didn't know it could be so...' and pick what you want.

For all of that, it still has potential appeal for me because it is what it is. I'm pretty sure I'm not a 'People Photographer', even though I'm not quite sure what a People Photographer is. However, humanity is what almost all my photography is about and this shot is about being human.

I have no idea what the motivation for this image was. The 'Old Gent' sleeping in his wheel chair is mentiioned, but if I try to imagine him by himself, it's not much of a picture. He's not much of a subject. The ladies are obviously not the subject and they aren't doing anything special, but without them there wouldn't be anything to be interested in, at least for me. Okay, I'm at the point where the shot is all it can be for me and the next things are about the differen t ways the image could be. Time to read.

Man, do I see this shot in a different light from everybody else!!! The Gent in the wheel chair isn't the subject, but he is the visual focal point and it's him in relationship with the two women that are the core elements of the shot. The stuff on the table and hanging off the back of the wheel chair seems to say something about the people. The stuff, together with the core human elements are a skeleton the viewer can fleshout with their own story and when that happens the subject of the story the viewer weaves from the elements in the photograph and elements of their life becomes the subject of the shot. Many of Garry Winograd's street images are in this vein, or maybe it would be better to say quality.

The Gent in the chair could easily be the subject of the shot simply through the emphasis SI could place on him in post processing. He didn't do that, so I made up a take on the shot with the elements I think are important.

Like everyone else, I think the shot needs to come up, way up, in what I consider the subject area. Just throwing a curve on the shot isn't going to cut it, but the areas you want to work with are really easy to mask. The women, the gent above the arm rest and the stuff on the table were worked separately from the background, which did pretty much have a curve thrown on it.

Version 1 - Semi Equal Tones
The women and the man are right about the same tone so have a similar visual importance, though he is slightly brighter. If you notice, he seems to be almost in the same visual plane as the women.
Attachment:
Sleeping-SI-tmp.jpg
Sleeping-SI-tmp.jpg [ 229.73 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]

Version 2 - Emphasis through Brightness
The women have been dropped in tone to be more like they were in shadow, which, of course, they are. He's definitely the subject now and, at least to me, he almost seems separate from the picture and in front of the rest of the image. Light subjects\objects against dark backgrounds appear to closer to the viewer, more towards the plane of the frame, than the darker backround. It's very realiable and you can use it all sorts of places to build up a dimensional feel.

Attachment:
Sleeping-SI-lower-tone-ladies.jpg
Sleeping-SI-lower-tone-ladies.jpg [ 230.01 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]

Are you improving, SI? I honestly have no way to tell when it comes to your B&W processing. The converted stuff I've edited has had plenty for me to work with so I can say the conversions your doing aren't bad , but I have no idea what your working from. How good a B&W conversion is depends on how much of the information you've brought over from the color shot.

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 pm 

Vance,

As always very comprehensive comments and very interesting read.

Thank you

Si

Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile