Last visit was: It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beauty session with Miss Teen California
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:09 pm 

seamless wrote:
Maybe Oleg's and my monitor are weirdly calibrated, but the processing looks like you used cross processing on the shots. I have an Eizo monitor and it's due for a recal tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too far off.

The red channel is thoroughly trashed and that is giving it all a heavy Cyan cast, which is what you would expect. The skin texture is 'not so good' because you are getting all most all of it from the blue channel, which means the green channel is also somewhat damaged. There should be textuire in that channel.

I don't know how you are processing your shots, but something seems off.

This is a quick and sloppy edit, but I would expect the image to be more like this with the beauty lighting if you were going for a fashion look:
Attachment:
Miss-Teen-Edit-tmp-fash.jpg

and down in tone for a a beauty style portrait. Like I said, this is just quickly brushjng in some assumed colors. I'm very sure her hair is richer with really nice highlights instead of the 'this should mix out to some sort of brown in rgb' coloring used here.

Lovelly model, nicely shot, but people aren't usually that color and still alive.

Vance

I am seeing what you are seeing Vincent. Gorgeous model bur something odd with the processing. Her skin looks over processed to me.

Zenfolio Referral Code 327-5M8-YCW
http://www.imagesbydonnau.com
DonnaU's Famous FaceBook Fanpage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

I'm glad we're seeing the same thing, Donna.

By the way, Vincent is Valusk1, I'm Vance :) I get Vince all the time.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:18 pm 

seamless wrote:
I'm glad we're seeing the same thing, Donna.

By the way, Vincent is Valusk1, I'm Vance :) I get Vince all the time.

Vance

OOPS I knew that. My fingers got ahead of my brain :oops: :)

Zenfolio Referral Code 327-5M8-YCW
http://www.imagesbydonnau.com
DonnaU's Famous FaceBook Fanpage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm 

iworkthelight wrote:
@Oleg - Let me know what you find. I'd be happy to send you the raw file for the first one and let you play with. I'd like to see how you can process it using your calibrated monitor.

I'd love to play with the raw file! Please send it. Now that I am home I do not see this shot the same as it looked on a laptop. I do agree with Vance about cross processing. The shadows are blue and highlights are yellow/orange. The skin does not look like the model is cold but more like high ISO noise in the shadows.

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:55 pm 

seamless wrote:
Maybe Oleg's and my monitor are weirdly calibrated, but the processing looks like you used cross processing on the shots. I have an Eizo monitor and it's due for a recal tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too far off.

The red channel is thoroughly trashed and that is giving it all a heavy Cyan cast, which is what you would expect. The skin texture is 'not so good' because you are getting all most all of it from the blue channel, which means the green channel is also somewhat damaged. There should be textuire in that channel.

I don't know how you are processing your shots, but something seems off.

This is a quick and sloppy edit, but I would expect the image to be more like this with the beauty lighting if you were going for a fashion look:
Attachment:
Miss-Teen-Edit-tmp-fash.jpg

and down in tone for a a beauty style portrait. Like I said, this is just quickly brushjng in some assumed colors. I'm very sure her hair is richer with really nice highlights instead of the 'this should mix out to some sort of brown in rgb' coloring used here.

Lovelly model, nicely shot, but people aren't usually that color and still alive.

Vance

Thanks Vance, I get your point. There's no need to wonder if your monitor is off :) I used the cross process filter in Nik's ColorFX, I think it's the "B02" or "T04" and it has blue cast. I was playing with the filters and I kinda like the look of the blue cast.

On the 2nd image, I was going for the skin tone on this Maybelline's beauty photo >>>http://www.maybelline.com/~/media/Images/MNY/Global/Home/Products/Face-Makeup/Foundation/Dream-Matte-Mousse/Porcelain-Ivory/dream-matte-mousse-foundation_classic-ivory_model-shot_132210.jpg<<< The color tone looks close enough on my non-calibrated monitor. What do you see on your monitor? Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am 

I think the photos are very well done and she's a beautiful girl. I have to ask, did you do a lot of post processing or use something like portrait professional on these? They look almost painting like.

http://batsonphotoaday.blogspot.com

Last edited by Steve Batson on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 am 

Steve Batson wrote:
I think the photos are very well done and she's a beautiful girl. I have to ask, did you do a lot of post processing or use something like portrait professional on these? The look almost painting like.

Thank you Steve. Yes I did use portrait pro to soften her skin . I tried using Scott Kelby's skin softening techniques, but I like PP's look better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am 

iworkthelight wrote:
Steve Batson wrote:
I think the photos are very well done and she's a beautiful girl. I have to ask, did you do a lot of post processing or use something like portrait professional on these? The look almost painting like.

Thank you Steve. Yes I did use portrait pro to soften her skin . I tried using Scott Kelby's skin softening techniques, but I like PP's look better.

I do like portrait pro as well. My personal opinion on these photos is that you probably went a tad too much. The skin looks too painted to me and obvious that it was touched up. If that's what you are going for, great. Really depends on how the photos are to be used. I know some ads have photos that look just like that. Again, they look great, she looks great, just very obviously "Air Brushed" for lack of a better term :)

http://batsonphotoaday.blogspot.com

Offline Profile