Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tree Hugger...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm 

(1) Have a subject: oh yes, the tree hugger!

(2) Draw attention to the subject: yes but, the dark trees are good but there is a bit bright area at the back - that normal tree does help to show the size of the giants however we already have the hugger to do just that?

(3) Simplification: yes but, it would be very simple without that bright area at the back, maybe I can try to darken it? Would be simpler had I moved my lazy butt to the right and have just 1 tree as the background (but I like this frame of 2 giant trees)? I think to darken the area is the best...

Please let me know how you'd do it? Thanks!!!

Update 09/04/13: I've created a 2nd pic with the bright area at the back darker.

Attachments:
File comment: Edited pic making the bright area at the back darker
2013-08-31a-Sequoia Trees-133jys.jpg
2013-08-31a-Sequoia Trees-133jys.jpg [ 241.65 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]
File comment: Original pic
2013-08-31a-ST-133jys.jpg
2013-08-31a-ST-133jys.jpg [ 246.77 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

Jindi

C&C plus editing for this forum always welcome!
Professional Photography Course Progress: Passed Unit 6 Exam :-) Submitted 0 Project :-(
System: mostly use Canon 5D III with 24-70mm F/2.8L II lens

Last edited by Jindi S on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tree Hugger...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 pm 

She is not a tree hugger. Her hands are not touching the tree and her facial expression and turned head show that she is more involved with the camera then the tree. I like the bright area as it tells something about the location and I think it adds to the composition.

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:43 am 

I like the composition and the idear.

But I had the same thoughts as InFocus about here position. Furthermore in my opinion the lighting on here could be better. The face is to dark. The darker areas can be brighter I think. This things can be addressed in photoshop. If you make the picture brighter I would mask out the allready brighter area in the background, so that you only get the darker areas brighter.

The picture looks not bad at all in my opinion. There is just room for improvement I think. Don't get discouraged.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

InFocus wrote:
She is not a tree hugger. Her hands are not touching the tree and her facial expression and turned head show that she is more involved with the camera then the tree. I like the bright area as it tells something about the location and I think it adds to the composition.

Thanks, I did ask her to hug the tree...lol.

I've tuned down that bright area a bit.

Jindi

Professional Photography Course Progress: Passed Unit 6 Exam :-) Submitted 0 Project :-(

Last edited by Jindi S on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm 

Ralf_St wrote:
I like the composition and the idear.

But I had the same thoughts as InFocus about here position. Furthermore in my opinion the lighting on here could be better. The face is to dark. The darker areas can be brighter I think. This things can be addressed in photoshop. If you make the picture brighter I would mask out the allready brighter area in the background, so that you only get the darker areas brighter.

The picture looks not bad at all in my opinion. There is just room for improvement I think. Don't get discouraged.

I'll try to make her brighter and see what happens, my orginal idea was to keep it dark since her sunglasses covered her eyes any way.

Thanks for your comments!

Jindi

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:51 pm 

The composition is spot on but the fact your model is not fully embracing the tree make this image not work. If she had her left hand on the tree it would work better.

Si

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:57 am 

Si-UK wrote:
The composition is spot on but the fact your model is not fully embracing the tree make this image not work. If she had her left hand on the tree it would work better.

Si

I agree about this,she seems a bit disconnected from the trees since she is not really touching them.

Edits OK

http://www.shutterstock.com/g/KEDG

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 am 

I think the scale makes the concept of hugging as a literal physical act difficult to get across no matter how you do the posing. How can you hug something that big? The tree is a prop for whatever you want to do with the model, but that's about all I can see it being.

It seems like scale is a problem here. It feels more like the shear size of the tree is the subject and not the model. She provides something to establish just how bloody huge these trees are, but she's not the subject per se. You see pictures like this in travel\nature books and text books.

If the subject of the shot is the young lady, then make the shot about the young lady and treat everything else like as a prop or background to her. Heck, you could put her in a tu-tu, give her a wand and hang a pair of little wings on her and that would definitely make her the subject if you want to keep to this inclusive field of view.

Much tighter framing would have worked, so you could crop this image to similar effect.

Right now, I see this image being about size.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 pm 

seamless wrote:
I think the scale makes the concept of hugging as a literal physical act difficult to get across no matter how you do the posing. How can you hug something that big? The tree is a prop for whatever you want to do with the model, but that's about all I can see it being.

It seems like scale is a problem here. It feels more like the shear size of the tree is the subject and not the model. She provides something to establish just how bloody huge these trees are, but she's not the subject per se. You see pictures like this in travel\nature books and text books.

If the subject of the shot is the young lady, then make the shot about the young lady and treat everything else like as a prop or background to her. Heck, you could put her in a tu-tu, give her a wand and hang a pair of little wings on her and that would definitely make her the subject if you want to keep to this inclusive field of view.

Much tighter framing would have worked, so you could crop this image to similar effect.

Right now, I see this image being about size.

Vance

You can hug anything of any size, it does not necessarily mean you have to get your arms all the way around, if that were turn I'd never get hubbed :lol: . I think the arguement is that the models left arm is not touching the tree therefore it cannot be a hug, it is half a hug at the best,

Si

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting

Offline Profile