Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 am
Posts: 218
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi All,

I plan to extend my Nikkor lens collection by purchasing the AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens from Nikon. I feel that I am already limited by the photos that I can take with the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens that I own. I would really be interested in reading your views and comments on this standard tele zoom lens.

_________________
Cheers,
Ranjit

“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

C&C / Edits welcome
Course: Complete Course in Professional Photography
Status: Completed Lessons 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Unit One


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:32 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2462
Location: Colorado Springs
I understand your desire to expand horizons. At different points of the NYIP course you are going to be tempted to buy different equipment. My suggestion is to wait and buy later. One common mistake most people make is buying non pro grade equipment and regret it later.

_________________
Edits, comments appreciated.
Oleg.
NYIP Student

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 am
Posts: 218
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thank you for the tip, Oleg!

_________________
Cheers,
Ranjit

“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

C&C / Edits welcome
Course: Complete Course in Professional Photography
Status: Completed Lessons 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Unit One


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:31 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:28 am
Posts: 1051
Location: Mountain Top, Pa.
I have the nikon 28-300 and use it as my walk around lens. I also use it for my outdoor wedding formals. Might be more useful than an older 70-300 of the same fstop range.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 am
Posts: 1278
Location: West Berkshire, UK
Ranjit wrote:
Hi All,

I plan to extend my Nikkor lens collection by purchasing the AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens from Nikon. I feel that I am already limited by the photos that I can take with the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens that I own. I would really be interested in reading your views and comments on this standard tele zoom lens.


You have only had your 35m F1.8 for a very short while and you are already finding its limits, wow you work fast. You could do the whole course with your camera and lens. Naturally you are limited to a fixed focal lenght but I'd say you are far from limited to its scope. I'd give yourself time to develop as a photographer, get to understand where your photographic passion is taking you before buying any more equipement. Why do you think it is limiting, can you give us examples?

I made the mistake of buying cameras and lenses and trying to fit my photography around them rather than the other way around. I wasted a lot of money and rather than owning four camera bodies and ten lenses I now have two cameras (one a compact) and four lenses ranging from 12mm to 200mm or 400mm with a 2x TC.

Looking back I should have stayed with my 18-55mm kit lens for longer than I did and my Sony A230 camera and got to know them and how to use them better. But I changed each time Sony introduced a new camera or a read a review or article on a particular field of photography. It took a while for me to learn that lesson and I only did so when I decided to move to full frame only and after taking a hard long look at where my photography was going.

From what you have told use you are only starting out on your photographic journey, let your creative imgination guide you and take your time. If you are hell bent on getting a 70-300mm lens you cannot do wrong that get Nikon's but also take a look at third party too as they are cheaper. You might also like to consider third party lenses from Tamron and Sigma in the 70-200mm F2.8, they might not be that more expensive than your Nikon 70-300mm.

Si :) :) :)

_________________
http://www.slawrencephotography.com

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:40 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 am
Posts: 218
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thank you, jjmirenzi and Si, for your tips. I guess I got too excited!

_________________
Cheers,
Ranjit

“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

C&C / Edits welcome
Course: Complete Course in Professional Photography
Status: Completed Lessons 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Unit One


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 am
Posts: 486
Location: Houston, Texas
I have this lens and I really like it. I bought it long before starting this class and use it almost every time my camera is out. This said, I would not buy it today. Like others have said, don't get fooled into thinking your camera is a limiting factor for you in learning how to become a professional grade photographer.

I think almost every one on this forum has either just about fallen or actually fallen into this trap. Newer is nicer, newer is better, I need the best gear to be my best. I have been feeling this way for a while and, luckily couldn't afford to buy anything new so I have to stay with what I have. I have made a pact with myself that if I don't win the lottery (and I don't buy tickets) I will finish this course with what I have.

You could very effectivly go through this course with any camera and become so much the better photographer. Just think how much better you will be when you rely on what you have and develop the skills and techniques to get around the limitations of your gear. when you have mastered the gear you have (and I am really talking to me here) when the new gear does come you will be that much more able to take advantage of what it brings to you.

I really enjoy some of your images. Keep up the good work and keep on learning.

_________________
Clark
Merit Award Unit 3
Need to take Unit 3 Test
Please feel free to edit
Would really appreciate your comments


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 am
Posts: 1278
Location: West Berkshire, UK
clarkrj wrote:
I have this lens and I really like it. I bought it long before starting this class and use it almost every time my camera is out. This said, I would not buy it today. Like others have said, don't get fooled into thinking your camera is a limiting factor for you in learning how to become a professional grade photographer.

I think almost every one on this forum has either just about fallen or actually fallen into this trap. Newer is nicer, newer is better, I need the best gear to be my best. I have been feeling this way for a while and, luckily couldn't afford to buy anything new so I have to stay with what I have. I have made a pact with myself that if I don't win the lottery (and I don't buy tickets) I will finish this course with what I have.

You could very effectivly go through this course with any camera and become so much the better photographer. Just think how much better you will be when you rely on what you have and develop the skills and techniques to get around the limitations of your gear. when you have mastered the gear you have (and I am really talking to me here) when the new gear does come you will be that much more able to take advantage of what it brings to you.

I really enjoy some of your images. Keep up the good work and keep on learning.


Well said and I agree. This post inspired me to write a post for my blog on my own personal experience.

http://slawrencephotography.blogspot.co ... earnt.html

Si

_________________
http://www.slawrencephotography.com

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm
Posts: 23
Location: Western Colorado
Great article Si...very well composed and written. ;D

While I only have one camera over the last three years...its a low end pro, I guess you could call it. I have found 2 other cameras I would love to have, neither suite a purpose other then spending money I don't have as I don't have the experience to use them or justify the buy, and to say I have them. I agree immensely with all of you, it doesn't matter what you have, its having the knowledge to take what you have to create the images that you see. It's not the gear but the photographer.

_________________
Krissy
500px.com/krissyshriver
Canon Rebel T3i
18-55mm, 75-300mm, and 50mm
Unit 6 Testing Done
Unit 6 Photo Projects


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nikkor Tele Lens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 am
Posts: 1278
Location: West Berkshire, UK
Silverwolf wrote:
Great article Si...very well composed and written. ;D

While I only have one camera over the last three years...its a low end pro, I guess you could call it. I have found 2 other cameras I would love to have, neither suite a purpose other then spending money I don't have as I don't have the experience to use them or justify the buy, and to say I have them. I agree immensely with all of you, it doesn't matter what you have, its having the knowledge to take what you have to create the images that you see. It's not the gear but the photographer.


Thank you Si

_________________
http://www.slawrencephotography.com

Unit One, Two, Three & Four - Completed.
Unit Five - Starting


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki