Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boiled Peanuts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:57 pm 

Hi everyone!
Please take a look at this image and give me your thoughts..no holds barred. I won't make excuses for anything. My goal for this image was an old backwoods feel, like something out of the past maybe. Processing was aimed for that goal too.
Many thanks!

Image Edits by request only~Please
NYIP Pro Course Graduate
http://www.mariemitchellphotography.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Boiled Peanuts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm 

I love the composition and harmony of the elements in the frame. I love the colors and sharpness too but with that said this image has great quality and doesn't meet your goal for making it look old. What I mean by that is the quality and technique of the image screams it isn't old at all. Doing a little research and processing this image in B&W in an old style would be your best option in my opinion. Even using the technique of adding grain in processing would be good too.

NYIP Graduate

http://www.facebook.com/vinceluskphotography1

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 am 

I really like the composition of the shot but will agree with the above poster. The processing you used does not hint to old photo. I see what looks like HDR treatment that gives it a slightly cartoonish feel. I would go more for either heavy grained B&W or a slight sepia look. Even a cynotype treatment would give more old feel than the process you chose.

50mm f/1.8
75-300mm f/4.5-5.6
2 Sony HVL-F58AM Flash
Waiting on Certificate
Zenfolio Referral Code 327-5M8-YCW
http://www.imagesbydonnau.com
DonnaU's Famous FaceBook Fanpage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:14 pm 

Thanks! I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll reprocess based on them and post soon.

NYIP Pro Course Graduate

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:06 am 

Marie, in the shot of the water wheel there was a problem in it looking soft and kinda flat, in spite of what should have been vibrant colors. It was a lovely shot but not quite. What does it have to do with this shot?

In your other shot, the information in the blue channel from the lower 1/4 - 1/3 of the tones up was almost totally missing and a lot of blue channel information seems to have gone AWOL in this shot, too. In the other shot, the effect of this is very apparent because of the nature of the subject matter, but you're getting some of the same here.

Even though the shot has high overall contrast, some within subject areas, like the foliage, are actuall pretty flat and lacking detail they should have because 1/3 of the information is missing. That's what I see is a problem with this image.

In your comments about the water wheel shot, you mention that your pictures have become soft and flat looking when you've brought them to the web. Brought over to the web with a usually unmanaged color profile and a smaller color gamut from your workspace would show up any effect of the missing blue information more than you would see on screen as colors are converted to their nearest equivalent. Have you changed something in your basic default post processing? If you have, then the problem might be there. If not, maybe a setting in your software has been accidently changed, or you changed something for a special reason and it didn't get changed back.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:06 pm 

seamless wrote:
Marie, in the shot of the water wheel there was a problem in it looking soft and kinda flat, in spite of what should have been vibrant colors. It was a lovely shot but not quite. What does it have to do with this shot?

In your other shot, the information in the blue channel from the lower 1/4 - 1/3 of the tones up was almost totally missing and a lot of blue channel information seems to have gone AWOL in this shot, too. In the other shot, the effect of this is very apparent because of the nature of the subject matter, but you're getting some of the same here.

Even though the shot has high overall contrast, some within subject areas, like the foliage, are actuall pretty flat and lacking detail they should have because 1/3 of the information is missing. That's what I see is a problem with this image.

Vance

Vance, I appreciate your critique, for sure. Although I don't totally get what you are saying about information missing, but that could very well be from the post processing.

Thanks!
Marie

NYIP Pro Course Graduate

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 am 

If your using Photoshop, click on the foreground color where you select between fore and background colors. In the RGB section, just below the HSB section and put Red=128, Green=128, Blue=0. You now have the total palette of colors you can make and you can move the cursor around in the color space. keeping the Blue channel below 50 as you move around you can cover pretty much the palette of colors you have when there isn't, for practical purposes, blue information.

There's not enough difference between many colors in the restricted palette for the brain to be able to create detail. There is the difference in luminosity, which is what B&W depends on, and for color images, it's pretty much differences in luminosity and color. There isn't any detail info in Hue.

The strange impressions people were getting form the bridge in your Water Wheel shot was caused by the lack of blue information. If you warmed up the shot to bting out the foliage and upped the saturation, that might clobber the blue. I don't know.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile