Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Billboard Usage Fee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:37 am 

Hello everyone,

I have a client who wants a professional head shot done for a billboard. Is there any resource that provides some sort of guideline as to how much to charge for that or is it again at the discretion of the photographer? I know that it usually depends on factors such as the amount of billboards, the location, and how long the billboard will be displayed. In my case, it will be displayed in a city of 55k at a major road. I don't know yet for how long it will be displayed. Any suggestions or advice? I really do not want to push the price down too low to hurt the industry but I also don't want it so high to shy everyone off since this is a great opportunity.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way and a great weekend for those who do not celebrate it:)!

NYIP Pro Course
Unit 4,
C&C always welcome!

"You show it, I'll shoot it!" ~ Jessica Douin Photography
http://www.jessdouinphotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/JessicaDouinPhotographyLLC

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Billboard Usage Fee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:33 pm 

I have a price for headshots and my contract specifically states they can use the shot in any manner whatsoever for self promotion and there are other uses which are precluded without permission (i.e., addition to the contract) like use on a book dust jacket, album cover and stuff like that.

The use of a headshot on a Billboard would fall within the spirit and intent of all clauses regarding the use of the headshot for self promotion and my standard charges would apply. Nothing special. Taking a performer as an example, I would consider putting the shot on a billboard to advertise a performance somewhere as equivalent to using the same headshot in a newspaper to promote the appearance and that is covered.

If there is something special about the shot which turns it into something other than a headshot another pricing structure comes into play with possibly different Copyright terms. At least that is how I do it. I'm also not pricing myself at the bottom of the market, either.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 pm 

Join PPA. for around $25/month you get that type of advice from their staff and also get $10000 of photo equipment insurance along with other great benefits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:54 pm 

oh wow thank you for those replies! Very interesting structure! I am currently looking at all the associations to see which one fits me best, thank you so much for mentioning it thought!

NYIP Pro Course
Unit 4,
C&C always welcome!

"You show it, I'll shoot it!" ~ Jessica Douin Photography
http://www.jessdouinphotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/JessicaDouinPhotographyLLC

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm 

jjmirenzi wrote:
Join PPA. for around $25/month you get that type of advice from their staff and also get $10000 of photo equipment insurance along with other great benefits.

Are you going to IUSA in January? I will be there, would love to meet you.

Image Edits by request only~Please
NYIP Pro Course Graduate
http://www.mariemitchellphotography.com/

Offline Profile