Last visit was: It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Bride and Groom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:22 pm 

Haven't posted on here in a while so i figured why not!

Attachments:
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg [ 212.17 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]

(2) Canon 5DMKII
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 85mm f/1.8
(2)Canon 580EXII Speedlites

Currently On Unit TWO
Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Christmas Bride and Groom
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:46 pm 

ISO 2000, WOW, That's Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet they were tickled with your work... Very nice.

Comments Welcome

All Unit Comprehensive Testing Complete
Working on Unit 3 & 4 Photo Projects

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:55 am 

Joel, I've looked at this shot a few times and I can't quite understand why I do not like it. It looks like a relatively low contrast oversaturated picture. Did processing similar to HDR tonning cause it? It also seems too dark. I averaged the pixels and desaturated this picture and the value came at 93. It could explain why it seems dark as mid gray is 128. The composition seems to be ok but the tree looks like it's leaning to the left/falling back. There is some barrel distortion but it's not very noticeable.
As I said, I am not sure why this shot is not to my taste but something is happening there that i do not like. Post some shots with added textures! I always love to see those :)

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Last edited by InFocus on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 am 

Joel, like Oleg, I can't like this shot, though I would like too.

There are several things, such as overall color balance, that effect my response to the shot, but I think I can be specific about what's really not working for me- it' the background itself.

The Christmas Tree is simply overpowering your subjects. That tree was decorated to be something to be appreciated on it's own. It's a center piece and the Bride and Groom can't compete successfully with it.

You included all of the tree in your composition, which, because of it's size, is stripping your couple's kiss of a lot of emotional energy and there is also the long apparent distance between the viewer at the camera position and the couple, which also reduces the emotional content. Since you haven't chosen to make the couple the important element of the composition, I'm not going to get a feeling for this couple.

If you crop in to pick up the intimacy and so the viewer can make a more personal connection with the couple, the background becomes very busy and distracting. The shot is better, but I don't think it's a strong picture.

Finally, a Christmas Tree is highly symbolic and brings with it a lot of associations, both personal and cultural, that don't have anything to do with a Wedding. Weddings, the idea of them, what they symbolize, again, have both personal and cultural associations that become part of the viewers experience. Trying to bring both sets of associations into one coherent experience oif the shot isn't very satisfying. You can try an experiment that may give a sense of what I'm saying. In you imagination, keep everything in the image just as it is, except change how the Bride is dressed. Put her in anything from jeans to evening gown and the shot will, more or less, work.

Anyway, my two cents is the background isn't working for the shot.

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:50 am 

Joel,
I personally love this shot. Of course there is going to be lens distortion, you had to use a wide angle lens in order to get the full tree in this shot. But, the most important subject here, the couple, do not appear to have any distortion.

This couple will love it!

Image Edits by request only~Please
NYIP Pro Course Graduate
http://www.mariemitchellphotography.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am 

Dear Joel,

I also believe that the couple will love this shot. From a photographer's eye, however, I agree that there was something that I couldn't put my finger on exactly. It is a combination of the tree overpowering the couple as well as the color itself on the tree. It is a nice shot and the couple will definitely appreciate you capturing this moment in front of the tree as it will be symbolic to them I am sure!

NYIP Pro Course
Unit 4,
C&C always welcome!

"You show it, I'll shoot it!" ~ Jessica Douin Photography
http://www.jessdouinphotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/JessicaDouinPhotographyLLC

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 pm 

this is what creative portraiture is all about. I would guess you exposed for the ambient room light to keep the Chrismas tree lights aglow and had an off camera flash at camera left on the wedding couple at a manual flash exposure setting. Nice Shot. I usually dont like the couple to touch lips - just a pretence of a kiss makes a better shot for me. Too bad the left side of the room looks crappy. Try a really tight crop in camera raw and get rid of the wallpaper wall. If you are making money now in wedding photography invest in photosuite 8 plug in by onone software. It can charge up and correct any color deficiencies that may exist. just needs a little more pp as I also took out the AC duct in the ceiling. Always remember rule of thirds.
This should be their 2014 first anniversary christmas card.

Attachments:
IMG_3544-1.jpg
IMG_3544-1.jpg [ 123.44 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:22 pm 

Nice work Joel ;D

For me this shot would have really looked neat with a zoom blur effect such this faked version done in PSP X4 (a bit over done in this edit, but you get the idea)....

Attachments:
IMG_3544 zoom blur.jpg
IMG_3544 zoom blur.jpg [ 105.57 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:00 am 

Mark Farrell wrote:
Nice work Joel ;D

For me this shot would have really looked neat with a zoom blur effect such this faked version done in PSP X4 (a bit over done in this edit, but you get the idea)....

Nice idea but I'd stay with fake zoom blur. I could never pull it off holding the camera in my hands. I did ok though from a tripod on a stationary subject after 15 attempts. LOL

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:58 pm 

Mark and I and I am sure many others remember film days when editing and post processing was nil, very limited or left to the photo labs with limited options. Today we can add, subtract, change pixels in an infinite number of variations. If our audience likes it then it works. If we like it that's all that counts. Half the fun of photography today is in the post processing work, imo.

Offline Profile