Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starboard Tween Deck cargo area sailing ship Balclutha
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:34 pm 

I've been evaluating a piece of software for the Canon DSLR's under 'real world' conditions. This shot is about as real world as it gets - this is a preliminary shot I did Friday the 7th for a series I will be doing for the National Park Service. It's a HDR pano of the starboard cargo 'Tween Deck' of the Square Rigged Balclutha.

This is what the exposure for all the shots in the pano look like, there were 9, and all the shots were single exposures of 4 seconds @ f/13, ISO 200.

Attachment:
Balclutha-first-Pano-Frame-Normal.jpg
Balclutha-first-Pano-Frame-Normal.jpg [ 40.76 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

This is the processed Magic Lantern pano:
Attachment:
Balcluthq-Paano-Tween-Deck-Starboard-B&W-for-web.jpg
Balcluthq-Paano-Tween-Deck-Starboard-B&W-for-web.jpg [ 68.67 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

This is going to be a display header image of about 6' long by 2' high. In other words it's gonna be big!

Enjoy

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starboard Tween Deck cargo area sailing ship Balclutha
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm 

Vance, I am a little lost. You said it was HDR but at the same time all shots had the same setting. I know there is a way to do it but 9 shots would not be enough to pull it off. I brightened your color shot and it was pretty blotchy. I do not see you using this kind of quality for panorama unless poor quality is the result of a conversion to 8 bit image for web. Why ISO 200 @ 4 sec. instead of ISO 100 @ 8 sec.? I also wonder if the panorama was done in camera or on the computer.

I photograph to beautifully misrepresent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:40 am 

Oleg, I guess I didn't explain clearly enough what Magic Lantern is doing.in the posts dealing with the software.

I have no problem believing you got crappy results when you tried to bring the first image up. That is a standard image frame taken at the same exposure as the pano shots.; That exposure is set for the highlights. It's your basic expose to the right to keep the highlights that are important in your opinion as the photographer. I'm always going to expose for my important highlights with this software.

You asked why 200 and not 100 ISO. Simple, I shot this with Highliight Priority on to see if I gained anything and the lowest ISO Canon will let you set is ISO 200 in tht mode. The jury is still out on the gain\no gain question. I will have to shoot many more shots to answer that question.

The 9 images had nothing to do with the dynqamic range. That's 9 images with a 20 degree rotation between them for a total of 180 degrees. It took 9 shots to capture the pano, not the dynamic range.

As I explained before, the Magic Lantern software is writing, in camera, alternate ISO's to alternate rows of pixels for each frame and within that frame. In this case, a row at ISO 200, then a row at ISO 1600 and this is repeated for the rest of the frame. This alternating information is then interpolated to produce a DNG image that is then brought to what you see in post.

Why doesn't the image seem high quality? This pano is 21,204 pixels wide by 5343 pixels high, reduced to 800 by 200 something. At 300 dpi for printing, that's nearly 6' x 1.5' being reduced to about 2.7" by less than an inch. A huge amount of information is getting thrown out. However, in the real world, doing the job it's intended to do, which is be a header image, or banner image if you like that better, for a display with other images below it (11"x14"), it will look very nice from a viewing distance of 4' - 6'.

The pano was done in CS6.

I'll let you judge whether or not the real life image is of a reasonable quality. This is a 4" (10.16 cm) x 2.5" (6.35 cm) section of the shot:

Attachment:
Balclutha-Pano-Detail.jpg
Balclutha-Pano-Detail.jpg [ 185.54 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

This is a similar sized section from the right side of the image. The grain is added, but you can see the detail in the shot. If you look at the boxes, you can see the nails used to make them. The heads of those nails are a bit smaller than 1/3 of the size of the finger nail on the little finger of someone with small hands.

Attachment:
Balclutha-Pano-Detail-2.jpg
Balclutha-Pano-Detail-2.jpg [ 160.5 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

Vance

"Photography is a language and there is something to say. It's the only reason I take pictures.
I want what I say to be eloquent. It's the only reason I work at my photography."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 am 

Vance, thank you for your post. I see what you did now. Magic Lantern gave you 3 additional stops and it was enough cover most of the dynamic range. Without it it would take a least 18 frames to make 9 HDR images to combine in a single pano. much more work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:54 pm 

It's not just the amount of images to take, Oleg, that makes this package attractive enough to make it a definite tool for the future and there is more to9 this software than the extended dynamic range.

Take some period of time, say two years and during that time I will take 1000 pictures that this software is suitable for. If I save an average of 10 minutes from capture to final image per picture over the more common HDR approaches, like Photomatix, that amounts to about 167 hours saved. If I guestimate that 20% of that would be billable @ $250.00/hr, that would amount to a little over $8,000, or $4,000 per year more income. That frees up an extra 133 hours over the two years to generate even more new business. If 20% of those hours become customers and I bill a two hour minimum @ $250.00/hr, that amounts to $6,650.00 more income over the two years, or an added $3,325.00 a year.

Those are reasonable numbers, so, potentially, this software could mean about $7,325.00 per year in increased gross income. This is a perspective I have to apply to everything photographic

While I'm impressed with what the software does technically, that added potential income is very impressive. Especially at the price - free. Admittedly, the software I'm using is very developmental and certain features it will have don't work yet, others don't work as well as lthey should, but I don't judge things by what they can't do, or by what they will do in the future. In terms of what this software does now, it's a great package.

So, even though it's a prelim shot and the final will be composed a little differently, what do you think about it? It's why I posted the shot to begin with.

Vance

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm 

Vance, it is quite difficult to suggest any improvements to the image for a couple of reasons. 1) You are far more advanced in understanding of composition then me. 2) This shot is commercial shot for a client and I simply do not know your assignment. Without a complete understanding of what the client wants I have no chance to help you move closer to your goal.

In the attached image you can see three things that I'd do to this image. In the original I drew a red line that shows a location where there is more symmetry in the ceiling and cargo. Symmetry might be more pleasing for a less sophisticated client.
I would also do some HDR toning. Maybe not as much as I showed in the middle image but I intentionally bordered with surrealistic look. It also generates more texture and I think in a shot like this it is desirable.
Third image shows HDR toning with cooling filter. I love using cooling filters on B&W. Nobody can see it and people accept it as B&W but it looks fresher. It looks more B&W then true B&W when you see them next to each other.

As I said in the beginning of my post. Without knowing your assignment I am just throwing a wild guess.

Attachments:
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 244.85 KiB | Viewed 73 times ]

Offline Profile